Monday, June 19, 2006

Ups and Downs of Majoring in Engineering

In most respects, it's great. Problem sets rather than papers, final exams instead of... bigger papers. Few classes on Fridays. No language requirement -- in fact, most of my classes I'm genuinely happy about taking. Ready access to expensive, industrial-grade software and cheap, industrial-grade explosive materials. More girls than I know what to do with. Knowledge that after graduation, I'll practically have a job waiting for me, until some damn foreigner sneaks up and runs off with it, like a velociraptor with a juicy, delicious puppy.

But there is a price to pay for this "laid-back" lifestyle. Writing is a useful skill. And while it is not a skill which I ever really mastered in the first place, it's one which I feel I'm beginning to lose out of neglect and, I'm ashamed to say, some pretty blatant misuse. You can only end a sentence with a preposition so many times before none of the guys think it's funny anymore and you're stuck with a nasty little habit. And drunken conversations concerning the nature of bad puns don't technically count as "practice".

With that said, I would like to take this moment to officially offer my public apology to The English Language:
I'm sorry, The English Language. I didn't mean those things I said. I was angry and drunk. I've done a lot of terrible things, and I regret almost all of them. You deserve better. I should never have slept with your roomate out of revenge. That was a terrible idea, The English Language. Terrible. I'm a changed man. I want you -- I need you back. I'm willing to do anything it takes. Within reason. Please, The English Language, let me know your decision at your earliest conveniance. Hugs and Kisses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home